Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy New Year, and what's in store for me in 2011...

First post of 2011, so Happy New Year to you.

Project Flickr
For a bit of a challenge, I have signed up for a 52 week project on flickr.  I know that some of my regular followers are already part of this project, but for the rest of you...  each week, the administrators issue a theme, and we all post up to 3 images taken during that week, that represent our own interpretation of the theme.  The first week has just finished, and I was on holiday at the time, so had ample opportunities to get some shots together.  Week 2 will see me back at work, and this is when it may start to get more difficult to keep up - we'll see.  I'm going to post my Project Flickr pictures here as well, so you'll be able follow my progress too.  The huge variety of pictures that have come out of the first week is astounding.

My new 'Nifty Fifty'
I am now the proud owner of an f/1.8 50mm lens, which I am looking forward to using for both low light and shallow focus type pictures.  You may have seen a couple of shots I posted just after Christmas, which were my first experiments with it.  I haven't had much experience with it yet, but I know I'm going to get good use from it (you'll see why in the next paragraph).  It doesn't autofocus on my camera, which is a bit of a problem for me with my eyesight, but the little focus indicator in the viewfinder does still work even when manually focusing, so as long as I'm not in bright sunshine (when I struggle to see any of the viewfinder symbols at all), I should be able to get by.

Studio Portrait Course
Yes - I am attending my first formal bit of tuition - next weekend, as it happens.  I am going to the Focus10 studio just outside Sydney, to do a one day course on studio and portrait work.  The course will cover studio setup, lighting, models, posing, and also cover lighting for 'product' photography.  I'm hoping to get some experience here that will let me start doing more serious portrait photography (and that is where I think my nifty fifty is going to get a workout).  I'll let you know how I get on at the course.

Seven Mile Beach
Well, enough about my plans, and all this boring writing - I expect you want to see a picture?  I just got back from spending the first week of the year at a place called Gerroa, a little way down the coast, on holiday with the family.  It was a beautiful sea-front location at the north end of Seven Mile Beach.  I went out with the camera most days, and was never short of things to shoot.  The sunsets were glorious, and lined up along the beach nicely (though I knew this would be - having already checked on The Photographer's Ephemeris).  Here is one of my favourite sunset shots of the week - there are a few more on my flickr site if you want to check them out.

Until next time - happy snappin'
G

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photo. Enjoy your nifty-fifty! I know you will. Wish I had one.

    ~a fellow D3000 owner

    ReplyDelete